GR 1144


Document for Travel After Recovery

In many cases, you need a special medical certificate to travel after recovering from an illness or injury. Some of these cases are:

  • Travel that has been postponed due to a health issue
  • Instances where you felt unwell on your previous flight and the airline is aware of it.
  • If it is evident that you have a problem, such as walking with crutches, having a cast, having upper limb suspension or using a wheelchair.

The airline wants to ensure, in writing from a doctor who has examined you, that there is a small likelihood that you will experience any serious deterioration on the plane that may cause disturbance to the crew and passengers and may force the pilot to land the plane at the nearest airport to disembark you.

It also asks for more specific clarifications, such as:

  • Whether you can walk without assistance, or if you need a wheelchair or stretcher:
    • During your movements at the airports
    • When boarding the aircraft
    • During your movements inside the aircraft.
  • If you need oxygen provision on board
  • If you need medication on board
  • If you need a medical escort, nurse escort, or any particular assistance from the on-board staff.
  • Whether you can sit in a regular seat or require a business class seat or stretcher
  • If your condition may cause discomfort, odor, or any kind of aversion to the other passengers.

Often, your insurance or the airline itself asks us for this form.

In any case, our medical team is very well aware of how to draft such a document, and our administrative team knows when it is very likely to be requested. After the end of your treatment, along with the documents required for your insurance, you also receive the fit-to-fly form in your email.