GR 1144
NEWS / CATEGORY: "MEDICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA"

New Blood Test Offers Early Detection of Alzheimer's-Related Changes in the Brain

Jan 26, 2024
Advancements in early detection methods for Alzheimer's disease, such as blood tests for amyloid and tau proteins, offer hope for timely intervention and improved treatment outcomes.
Homed-New Blood Test Offers Early Detection of Alzheimer's-Related Changes in the Brain

Alzheimer’s Disease Early Diagnosis

The Challenge of Diagnosing Alzheimer’s Disease

Alzheimer’s disease, affecting over 55 million people worldwide, remains difficult to diagnose accurately and early. The diagnosis process traditionally involves a comprehensive assessment of symptoms and the exclusion of other types of dementia through scans or cerebrospinal fluid tests, which are invasive, expensive, and time-consuming. This complexity has led to less than half of dementia cases being diagnosed in the U.S., according to the CDC.

Importance of Early Detection

Early detection of Alzheimer’s is critical, as highlighted by the controversies surrounding the FDA’s 2023 approval of drugs like aducanumab and lecanemab. The main issue was the inability to administer these drugs early in the disease’s progression, potentially affecting their effectiveness. Early diagnosis could not only facilitate timely treatment but also reduce healthcare costs significantly. The CDC estimates that early diagnosis could save up to $64,000 per dementia patient.

Advances in Diagnostic Methods

Researchers have been investigating simpler diagnostic methods, such as blood or saliva tests, to detect the buildup of amyloid beta and tau proteins in the brain. These proteins are key indicators of Alzheimer’s. However, developing an effective blood test is challenging due to the blood-brain barrier and the properties of tau and amyloid proteins. Notable developments include the AD-Detect blood test for amyloid beta protein and the ALZpath pTau217 assay for detecting a specific form of tau protein, though the latter is currently available only to researchers.

Furthermore, in a study with 786 participants, the efficacy of these tests was evaluated. The results showed that the pTau217 assay could accurately identify abnormal levels of amyloid beta and tau in 80% of participants, with the remaining 20% needing traditional diagnostic methods. This represents a significant improvement in diagnostic accuracy and could be key for early intervention with new treatments. Read the full article by clicking here.

Clinical Utility and Concerns

Despite these developments, there are concerns about the clinical utility of blood tests for Alzheimer’s. Dr. Clifford Segil, a neurologist not involved in the research, raised issues about the potential overdiagnosis of Alzheimer’s in patients without memory loss or cognitive impairment. He emphasized the lack of a clear relationship between serum tau protein levels and cognitive complaints, questioning the practicality of these tests in routine clinical evaluations for Alzheimer’s dementia as of 2024.

For any further information about the Disease you can visit our Conctact page to talk with a doctor.

Alzheimer’s Disease Early Diagnosis

RELATED ARTICLES

CALL US

+30 210.80.60.098 or WhatsApp +30 697.69.13.046

 

The call center is available 24/7 at +30 210.80.60.098.
The WhatsApp phone at +30 697.69.13.046 is available daily from 07:00 to 23:00.